SmartDeploy 1.1.1920 introduced a new feature that allows the user to create an automated answer file with ease. In this short blog I’m going to explain how this new feature works.
1. Boot to SmartPE and select Deploy an image.
2. Select Next to proceed to the Welcome to the Deploy Wizard page.
3. Proceed through the Deploy Wizard as you normally would, and proceed to the Summary page.
4. To create an unattended installation, please check For use as an unattended installation. This option attaches the <deploy_wizard mode="Unattended"> tag in your answer file so you do not have to manually edit your answer files anymore for unattended installs. Quick and easy!
5. Select Export and save your answer file.
6. Open SmartDeploy’s Media Wizard and proceed to the Optional Components page.
7. Browse to your unattended answer file that you saved in the above steps.
8. Complete the Media Wizard as you normally would, and create your media.
9. Boot from your newly created media and you will notice a countdown. Once this countdown is done, your unattended install will start.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact us. You can download SmartDeploy here.
Here are some handy logs and locations to check out if you run into any deployment issues.
You can always view the following logs in: C:\Windows\Debug
- Deploy.log is created by SmartDeploy Enterprise and will show you deployment errors that may have occurred with SmartDeploy.
- Netseteup.log will show any issues with the deployed machine joining the domain.
If you are running windows 7, the windows setup logs are located in C:\Windows\Panther
If you are having issues with drivers on your deployed machine, be sure to check out C:\Platform\Dism.txt. This log will show you what occurred during driver injection.
Of course, if you run into any issues when using SmartDeploy Enterprise, we'll be glad to help!
So you have installed SmartDeploy Enterpise, and are ready to capture your first WIM? Great!
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to capture a virtual machine and turn it into WIM (Windows Imaging Format) using SmartDeploy.
1. Open the Capture Wizard by going to Start– All Programs – SmartDeploy – SmartDeploy Enterprise – Capture Wizard.
2. Select Next on the Welcome to the Capture Wizard page to proceed to the Virtual Hard Disk page.
3. Select Browse and browse to your virtual disk file. SmartDeploy supports the following file formats.
4. Once you have selected your virtual hard disk, select Next to proceed to the Select Virtual Disk Volumes page. If you click the Details button, that will show the Disk number and Partition number.
5. Select Next to proceed to the Operating System page.
6. Enter the product key for the operating system that you want to deploy. This is also your chance to enter your local administrator account password. Note: Un-checking Mask password allows you to see your password to prevent creating an account with a password you didn’t intend on using.
Note: These fields are not required during the capture process and you will have a chance to enter the product key during the deployment phase. However, if you enter the product key during this step you will not be prompted again during deployment.
7. Select Next to proceed to the Image Type page
8. You now have two options, choose Standard image if you wish to capture an image to a new or existing .WIM file. This guide only provides instructions on creating a new .WIM file.
9. Select Next to proceed to the Save Image page
10. Click Browse and select a location where you want to save the .WIM file. Be sure to use a descriptive name. When creating multiple .WIMs, a standard naming convention is recommended.
11. Create an Image name for your .WIM.
12. Create an Image description for your image (optional).
13. Select Next to proceed to the Completing the Capture Wizard
14. Select Finish to start the capture and create your .WIM.
You have now successfully created a .WIM file ready for deployment using SmartDeploy Enterprise!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I’ll be glad to help.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to create offline deployment media for SmartDeploy Enterprise. Following these steps will quickly get you a basic offline deployment CD/DVD.
1. Open the Media Wizard by selecting Start – All Programs – SmartDeploy – SmartDeploy Enterprise – Media Wizard.
2. Select Next to proceed to the Select Task page
3. Select Create offline deployment media. This option allows you to create offline deployment media containing all components required to boot and deploy target computers.
4. Select Next to proceed to the Select Image page
5. Select Browse to browse for the WIM you have created.
6. Select Next to proceed to the Platform Pack page
7. Select Browse to browse to a platform pack that you have created. Don’t have one? Get a Platform Pack here.
8. Select Next to proceed to the Optional Components page. For now let’s keep the defaults.
9. Let's select CD / DVD disc as the type of media we would like. SmartDeploy Enterprise supports spanned media, so really you can pick any option. It just depends on how big your image is and what media you select!
10. Select Next to proceed to the Save Options page.
12. Select Browse to select a location where you want to save the SmartDeploy ISO. If you would like to burn the .iso to media now, click the Burn now checkbox, otherwise just click Next and burn the media later.
13. Select Finish to start the media creation process.
You have now successfully created offline deployment media with SmartDeploy Enterprise! You can now boot from this CD and/or DVD to start SmartPE and begin the deployment process.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and we will be glad to help.