DeployCentral

Windows 10 1809 - Sysprep Fail

JayM

Hi Lee, 

Unfortunately, Justin is correct - we no longer recommend upgrading your reference VM from one major Windows 10 version (e.g. 1803) to a later Windows 10 version (e.g. 1809). The in-place upgrade process from Microsoft (which includes a Sysprep run, and retaining an entire previous set of Windows.old files on the VM, adding several GB to the image size) leaves the VM in a less reliable state for capture, Sysprep, and deployment. Our best recommendation if you wish to deploy a new major Windows 10 version is to build a new, blank VM and install that Windows version using OS media from Microsoft that includes that version. Then run all available Windows Updates (for that version only - no major version upgrades), gracefully shutdown the VM (shutdown /s /t 0), capture, and deploy. Once you've confirmed the VM has produced a good image, back up a copy of the VM in its known-good state, and then you can begin installing software and configuring as needed. This way, you'll always have a good copy of the VM to fall back on if any software installation or configuration change results in an unusable image.

In order to deploy a Windows 10 Version 1809 image, you will need to have SmartDeploy version 2.0.3025 or later installed, and be sure to recreate your SmartDeploy media after installing the new version. 

Please feel free to reach out to support if you have any questions or issues - you can reach us at support@smartdeploy.com.

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Worcestersoftware; Thanks very much for sharing this. I will make sure this gets shared internally and tested as a reliable solution. I believe this is similar to the solution when Windows 10 sysprep was broken in v1511, if I'm recalling correctly. 

We have noted 2 different sorts of failures; one resulting from what is best described as a "bad upgrade" where the sysprep logs will have grown over 85MB in size.