DeployCentral

Deployment to dell 7050

danbav

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

i am still having issues deploying to Dell optiplex 7050 and 7040. Setup fails to complete.

After the final reboot the system blue screens and cannot continue. Only option is recovery and safe mode is not allowed during install.

This is a new from ISO 1803 enterprise image created on VmWare workstation 12. Minimal updates and no software installed.

Platform pack is 1.2.6 (latest).

same image deploys to other models (dell 9010, 9020) with no problems. Is there a driver issue with the platform pack?

I see dell have released custom chipset drivers are these included in the latest platform pack. can this be confirmed?

Are there any smartdeploy or windows logs that I can use to determine the error?

Kind Regards

Once the bluescreen happens, reboot the machine back to SmartDeploy.  At the splash screen, click Collect Logs.  Save the resulting .zip to USB or Network and email it to us.  support @ smartdeploy.com

Additionally, open a command prompt, change to where Windows is installed, usually C:\ or D:\ and then see if there is any *.dmp files in \Widnows\Minidump.  If there are are, please send us those as well.

The last thing that happens in the setupapi.dev.log pertains to McAfee.

SetupCopyOEMInf - C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\Evaluation\ENDP_GS_1060\Install\0000\x64\mfenlfk.inf

cmd: "C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\Evaluation\ENDP_GS_1060\Install\0000\\mfehidin.exe"

I would try deploying an image that does not contain McAfee at all.  We've seen security software get in the way of mini-setup before.  It's usually best to install it as a first boot task.

If you need a clean Windows 10 1803 image to test with we can provide one directly to you.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

If you could provide a clean image for me to test with that would be great. The only concern is that my image deploys ok on other hardware.

I am already building another image but i am now having issues importing the image to smartdeploy.

It is saying to do a shutdown /s /t 0 which I have done with elevated cmd prompt but makes no difference.

I am using VmWAre workstation pro v15

BIOS and also tried UEFI boot 

Single VMDK

Once gold image is built I am taking a clone and completing the build on the clones for different. Installing updates and base software. Using that to import from. Is this the correct process?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, looks like it's failing to install the product key you specified.  Ensure the product key matches the SKU you are deploying.

Looks like you are deploying Enterprise, so is this a valid MAK key for Enterprise?  If you leave the key out of deployment, can you put it in after?

hi

should the build vm be activated, it wasn’t so i have activated and i am capturing a new image.

i will confirm the product code when i build the new answer file and deployment pack.

if not required please remove the product key in the logs from your records.

is there a post install task command i can use to change the product key prior to the activation task?

kind regards

You can indeed use a Task to set the product key as part of the deployment. 

In the Answer File wizard, add first boot tasks of:

cscript.exe "c:\wilndows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"
cscript.exe "c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato”

For reference; 
/ipk is install product key
/ato is activate

Hi,

Im still having failure to start up issues after auto reboot on dell 7050 and 7040. Black screen swirling dots change to a square box and then failure to start message offering restart only.

Can you advise the correct bios settings for uefi no secure boot.

also do i need to check the uefi/secureboot checkbox in the wizards?

Kind Regards

Hi Dan,

We'll need to see a logset from this device in order to troubleshoot further - please submit one via the support form. 

Please boot to SmartDeploy media on the affected device (ideally with USB boot media with no answer file, to avoid starting another deployment and wiping the previous logs), click the Collect logs option, save the resulting zip file to an external location, and submit it via the Support formIn your ticket, be sure to include a link to this DeployCentral thread. 

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support