DeployCentral

Insert Disk 1?

Jason N

Is anyone else having an issue with version 3030 and images added through WDS? Whenever I import an image into WDS as an install image and WDS creates a Res.RWM file (so multicast is supported) I get an Insert Disk 1 prompt after the entire image is pushed out from the server. It gets to about 10 seconds left then I get the prompt and it does not work.

If I revert to version 3005 in my console, and recreate the boot media (booted through PXE boot from WDS server) it will push out the image fine but will cause a bootloop since it is an 1809 image and will not work with that version of the console media.

If I do NOT import the WIM install image into WDS, it will push out just fine using any other method. But this is not ideal since I image about 100 machines at a time in the summers and need proper multicast support from PXE boot within WDS.

I have tried re-creating my images using Virtual Box, Hyper-V, etc. Rebuilding my WDS server multiple times. Completely uninstalling the console and reinstalling, completely starting from scratch on a new console host machine and rebuilding my image. No dice! I am attaching my logs with the hope someone sees something obvious.

MININT-AUSO5BM.Logs.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Nope... no resolution. Haven't heard any updates from support in over two weeks since they mentioned they would work with their Dev team. I had this issue before with version 3010 and reverting back to 3005 and rebuilding the boot image fixed it too.

Not sure what to do here... the multicast support built into the console is not very reliable when I have tried it. In the meantime I have been setting up MDT on the WDS server in case this doesn't get resolved.

I got the deploy log and below is what happens I have been working with support on this. I had it happen twice before and they told me to go back a version. I just updated to 3030 from 3000 and it happened.

1/16/2019 3:29:56 PM : 1  : #mic,GetWimInformationModel,WriteToLog : Current file: Z:\Images\Smart Deploy Images\FS64 Win10 1803 12-18.wim
1/16/2019 3:29:56 PM : 1  : #mic,GetWimInformationModel,WriteToLog : Cached file:
1/16/2019 3:29:56 PM : 1  : #mic,GetWimInformationModel,WriteToLog : Returning information for file: Z:\Images\Smart Deploy Images\FS64 Win10 1803 12-18.wim
1/16/2019 3:29:56 PM : 1  : #mic,GetMaximumSplitPartNumber,WriteToLog : Searching for split parts in Z:\Images\Smart Deploy Images
1/16/2019 3:29:56 PM : 1  : GetMaximumSplitPartNumber,WriteToLog,WriteToLog : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at Common.SmartDeploy.SL.Managers.SmartWIMManager.GetMaximumSplitPartNumber()
1/16/2019 3:29:56 PM : 1  : <.ctor>b__4,ShowModal,WriteToLog : MessageBox : Deploy Wizard : Please insert disc 1.

Hello,

This is a known issue. It occurs if the Windows 10 image is 1803 or greater. There is a chance that it won't import correctly into WDS on Server that isn't 2016.  But, not all images have the issue, so you may have luck recreating the image. The older version of Wingapi.dll isn't handling some of the new file properties in 1803.  Unfortunately this is something we cannot fix and it even happens when importing a .WIM that isn't create by SmartDeploy but even dism.exe.

• 2 months later...

Any updates with this? I have managed to build my own MDT installation working 100% with WDS using LiteTouch 64-bit boot images... so until this software can multicast from WDS I cannot mass image with PXE boot to the boot media with it. I still get Please insert disc 1 errors with lastest 3040 software. 

Thank you.

Hi Jason,

This is a known issue and not related to a disc issue. You will not want to install vmware tools on your virtual reference machine. It occurs if the Windows 10 image is 1803 or greater. There is a chance that it won't import correctly into WDS on Server that isn't 2016.  But, not all images have the issue, so you may have luck recreating the image. The older version of Wingapi.dll isn't handling some of the new file properties in 1803.  Unfortunately this is something we cannot fix and it even happens when importing a .WIM that isn't create by SmartDeploy but even dism.exe. Are you deploying 25+ machines at the same time? If not, you won't benefit from using multi-cast. You have the original .wim,  which wasn't imported into the WDS role correct? Perhaps on the SmartDeploy host? If you do, I would open the WDS role and delete the install group of Windows 10. That should delete Y:\Images\Win10x64\. Then if you still want your original image there you can manually create that file path via file explorer. Copy your original .WIM to that location. Then create a new answer file to point to that image again, but this time it wasn't imported via the WDS role and will use uni-cast. Create new WDS boot media. Delete your old wds boot media from the WDS role. Import the new one.  That will get you deploying and you can still use the PXE functionality, but still deploy via unicast.

• 2 months later...