DeployCentral

DNS Sufix

AdsaM

Hi All,

Is it possible to add dns suffix addresses to the xml file. ?

I have them in my base vhd but they appear to be getting removed during the sysprep process.

I have a batch file that i want to run at first logon that maps a drive to a network share and runs some automated installs that i don't want to in the vhd but the machine cannot see the network server unless i re-enter the suffix address.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Stevie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Is it possible to add dns suffix addresses to the xml file. ?

I have them in my base vhd but they appear to be getting removed during the sysprep process.

I have a batch file that i want to run at first logon that maps a drive to a network share and runs some automated installs that i don't want to in the vhd but the machine cannot see the network server unless i re-enter the suffix address.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Stevie

Hi Stevie,

The reason for the behavior you are seeing, is that when syspreping the network card is removed, along with all specific settings. In your scenario the DNS suffix is probably set to the specific connection thus removed during sysprep. If you set the DNS suffix global to all connections you should be able to retain the setting through sysprep. To do this open the network properties for the NIC on your virtual reference machine and select IPv4 (or IP on XP). From the properties sheet click advanced then DNS. Click the "Append these DNS suffixes (in order):" radial and add your DNS suffix. This will set the DNS suffix for all network connections on the machine. I have tested this process with Windows 7 and it will survive the sysprep, it should work in XP as well.

If you do not want to set the suffix for all connections you still have options. I assume you are using DHCP? If so you could set the DNS suffix through the DHCP server and it will then be added to the connection. Here is a link to an article stating how to add the DNS suffix as a DHCP optoin. If you are on an Active Directory domain you could also use Group Policy to configure this option. Here is some info on how to accomplish that.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks,

Erik

Thanks Erik.

Will give that a go tommorrow.

Also. If after the pc has been added to the domain with the XML, What format does it need to be for me to put the client in the correct OU. Do i need to use the LDAP format or can it be in the format DOMAIN/DESKTOPS etc.?

Sorry for being a pain. But want to automate as much as I can. :)

Thanks

Stevie.