DeployCentral

WDBoot.sys BSOD

Aaron@Shared

I am building new GIs on my desktop and then importing it into SmartDeploy on the server. They import fine and I am able to create my deployment packs. Once I deploy it thru WDS and reboots, I am greeted by an immediate BSOD:

The operating system couldn't be loaded because of a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\System32\drivers\wd\WdBoot.sys
Error code: 0xc000000d

HELP!!! I do this because I can build 2-3 GIs in a day on my PC compared to 1 on the server. Thoughts?

Aaron

Aaron, 

So I understand this correctly; You're creating your virtual machines and then capturing them on your local workstation, and then copying/importing the WIM file to your SmartDeploy console on the server, yes?

If you create USB media, boot to SmartDeploy and deploy your image, does it succeed?

Are your clients that you're attempting to deploy to via WDS in UEFI mode?

Correction: I built the VM on my workstation. Shut it down as stated in the userguide. Then I went into SDE on my Server and imported them from my local PC across the network. We are using PXE boot for network imaging.

I will try creating an ISO from the image and deploying it via a VM.

The PCs we use have UEFI but we turn SecureBoot off and at the boot menu, select the BIOS not UEFI Network card.

If your workstation is that much faster, I recommend leaving the VMs there, shutting them down and then capturing your images locally, and then copy the images to the Server host for deployment. You can have the console installed on more than one workstation without a license penalty.

Then it could be a worthwhile test to use the Media wizard to create a SmartDeploy ISO and boot a new VM to that, and test-deploy your image, however I would still recommend using USB media to test it on one of the devices you're attempting to PXE boot, 

Lastly, if your devices are in UEFI mode, you will want to enable Secure Boot. If your system is in UEFI mode, but you temporarily boot to the Legacy BIOS mode network card, then SmartDeploy is going to detect that it's in Legacy BIOS, and then deploy the image in BIOS mode. Your system will then restart, back into it's normal UEFI mode and thus won't be able to boot. 

You should be able to manually enable the UEFI Network Stack in the System Settings, but keep in mind that there is additional configuration needed to PXE boot and deploy devices with WDS in UEFI mode.

• 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, dblameuser said:

I am having the same issue, was there a resolution to this issue?

I ended up switching from building the VMs and images on the server onto my workstation. I also use Virtualbox to create a master VM, then duplicate it and then make modifications from there.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting this exact same error, but only when trying to deploy Windows 10 Enterprise version 1903.  I haven't tried an older version of Windows 10 Enterprise, but Windows 10 Pro (any version) is working fine.

recapturing the image = same error

even remaking the VM + image = same error.

Smartdeploy version is 2.0.3050.10466

• 1 month later...

I have a very similar or same issue.  After deployment (Windows 10 Pro 1909, fully Windows updated as of 12/31/2019,) it never will boot successfully. I am greeted with that pesky wdboot.sys error.  If I instead load the older image (Windows 10 Pro 1903, fully Windows updated 11/1/2019,) it boots just fine. It makes no difference if I select LEGACY or UEFI Boot.

• 10 months later...

I keep getting the same blue screen after I image any PC. I have tried deploying with WDS and USB and get the same result. I have tried turning off secure boot thinking that maybe that was the issue and it still doesn't work. I'm at a loss right now and I have a pile of laptops that need to be imaged. 

PXL_20201110_185323151.MP.jpg