DeployCentral

Profile Settings (Backend) not carrying forward.

eawilhelm

To be short, I've setup a pretty restricted profile on the VM for this image. Essentially the user can login and open 3 programs on the desktop and that is it. Unfortunately, when I capture the image and deploy it to the new computer, all of those restrictions are lost.  I'm fairly new to this realm, so I'm probably missing something super simple, but any ideas on what I need to do to make sure the user can't access any settings or preferences I had set on the VM?

Hi there,

It's likely that whatever restrictions you're applying are not surviving the Sysprep process. Since Sysprep is a mandatory part of deployment, there's unfortunately not a lot we can do about this. 

The recommended method for this sort of thing would be to apply the restrictions to the endpoints instead - this way, you can be sure that they are being applied to the current computer, current account, current SID, etc. Depending on what restrictions you're looking to impose, you may want to look at using Group Policy on your domain. 

Please feel free to reach out to support@smartdeploy.com if you have any questions. 

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

• 1 month later...

I have a similar/related question.  Not sure whether eawilhelm is talking about a 'Default Profile' or not?  That is my question.  Microsoft keeps changing\limiting the abilities to make a custom default profile.  Where MS mentioned using copy profile as the standard, they deprecated/changed how default app associations/start menu items are handled.  Does SD have a 'goto' reference/guide example for creating a default profile (specifically for build 1809) for those using Smart Deploy?  Many resources out there are mentioning just using WDS / MDT / SCCM.  As a client of SD for the past couple of years, I might have to drop SD and go that route.  Continually jumping through hoops (no fault of SD) is becoming exhausting.

Hi there,

Please refer to the link I've provided (below) that has our instructions as well as a short video for more guidance.

https://support.smartdeploy.com/kb/article/3-customizing-the-start-menu-and-task-bar/

If you have any further questions, please reach out to support @smartdeploy.com

Thanks for the information.  I'll review this, but I found another reference after submitting my reply above that only slightly changes my current process.

Having a desire to keep more than just the Start Menu layout, I still have a need to utilize most of what CopyProfile does (or in my case Defprof).  I have many items I'd like to have in my 'Golden Image', so I do the following:

1. Build the image using default admin account and customize to our needs.

2. I export default application associations out(to utilize in GPO) 

3. I then utilize another admin account to run Defprof for the "Administrator" account.

4. Back under "Administrator" account, I copy the following to the 'Default' user:

"%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\CloudStore" 
"%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Caches" 
"%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" 
"%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer"

5. I shutdown VM and capture image.

Once device is imaged and is added to the domain, my users (many are first time logins in student labs & not using roaming profiles), users get the exact desktop experience each time and with GPO, have the default applications associations applied without Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (build 1809) reseting application associations.