DeployCentral

"Unable to create the ramdisk device" error

Hello everyone,

I have a test laptop, HP Probook 450 G3, running on Wifi, which I'm using to test deploying Windows 10 to clients on WiFi. Using a deployment package that was successful on HP Compaq Pro 6200/6300s, we're getting an error in the event logs during deployment:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SmartDeploy Console/Client Service
Date:          4/16/2019 2:48:46 PM
Event ID:      0
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ------------------
Description:
Exception:
Unable to create the ramdisk device in the BCD.
   at Common.SmartDeploy.Managers.BootManager.#R6f()
   at Common.SmartDeploy.Managers.BootManager.ManageBootWim(Boolean manageBootFiles)

The laptop never reboots or starts the deployment. As far as I can see, the contents of C:\SmartDeploy on that system are the same as on the successful ones. I figure it's either WiFi or something specific about that laptop model. SD Enterprise is on the latest version (2.0.3040). Does this ring any bells?

-j

We use Symantec Endpoint Protection on everything. SEP hasn't been interfering with the wired desktop clients so far, but the laptops have a slightly different set of policies. I ran a couple more tests. First, I put the test laptop in the same SEP group as the successful clients. Next, I uninstalled SEP completely. Unfortunately, I got the "unable to create the ramdisk device" error each time again.

I'll see if I can find another ProBook 450 to test on....

• 2 years later...