DeployCentral

Win 7 to Win 10 Migration

Chris, you can use the User State Migration Feature when creating your answer file. It will backup the users data, settings, and app data and then restore them. I haven't tried this yet but I believe its possible. Also I believe you would have to specify in the answer file to join it to the domain as well.

Hi Chris,

Aaron is correct. You will want to do this via the answer file. You do not have to migrate it with WDS, but you can always add a migration answer file to your WDS boot media if needed.

In order to migrate from a Windows 7 machine to Windows 10, you will want to create a new virtual reference machine with the latest version of Windows 10 media (1903). You will want to create an answer file via the Answer File Wizard. To get to the Answer File Wizard, open the SmartDeploy console, Activities - > Reimage Devices - > Create Answer File. When creating the answer file you will have the option to migrate user data.

You can find more information on page 107 in our user guide.

Thanks,

Devon

SmartDeploy Support

Chris,

Thanks for clarifying.

You can install the SmartDeploy client on the Windows 7 machine. During the installation it will ask you for the SmartDeploy hostname or IP. Enter that and the machine will show up in Computer Management in the SmartDeploy console. You will then create a deployment package, which then can contain your answer file that migrates user data. 

You can find more information on page 57 in our user guide

Thanks,

Devon

SmartDeploy Support