DeployCentral

Capture Speed

douglasac10

Hi!

I'm wondering if there's anything we can do to speed up the image capture time?

I have an image that's about 40GB and takes nearly two hours to capture, half of which is processing the files and the other half being the actual capture. I've removed any files from the image that I put there that aren't needed, run Disk Cleanup and the Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup command to clean up as many unneeded files as possible (unless there's other things I should be doing as well). The VHD and the image destination are on the same drive.

As for hardware, the image and Smartdeploy are on a virtual server running Server 2016, 4 Xeon E5-2640v3 cores, 8GB RAM and the virtual disks are on SAS hard drive storage storage. I can throw more resources at it if necessary but looking at the usage, I don't think that this is the problem. 

Unless, of course, these times are normal, in which case, never mind, product is working as intended and I'll make do :)

Thanks!

On 10/4/2019 at 1:09 AM, SmartDeploySupport said:

Disable any anti-virus real-time scanning, and it will be much faster.

Ah, one thing I didn't think to check! I had to uninstall the Windows Defender feature from the server (it wouldn't disable via the Settings app for some reason) and we went down to 35 minutes, a significant improvement and much more in line with what I was expecting.

Thanks for that! 😊