DeployCentral

Licensing Question

DeJeon Jones

Hey Guys, 

So I just have a simple question. I'm wonder how exactly does SmartDeploy keep track of licensed computers. Does it match a seat to a computers Serial number, or does it take a computers unique ID?

Here is an example that might help with my question. say if we have a computer that is currently has the SmartDeploy Software on it and the computer say is name "ITxxx" then the machine gets re imaged and the name changes to "SDxxx" Would SmartDeploy know its the same computer even after the name has changed?

Stupid Question I know... I'm sure I know the answer just want to verify. Thanks guys!

Hi Dejeon,

Not a stupid question at all! Licensing is per deployment. 1 license is used per 1 unique deployment and it's tracked via the machine's hardware. You can re-image the same machine as many times as you want with any operating system we support and still only use 1 license. Renaming does not affect licensing.

For more information regarding licensing be sure to read our licensing page here. Some users find the FAQ section at the bottom of the page helpful.

Hope that clears everything up!

Thanks,

Devon

SmartDeploy Support

• 1 month later...

We perform a wmi query on the motherboard to view the devices and IDs, serial number, etc. If you're curious you can download the script we run yourself here.

Run that on the target machine and it will output a wmi.txt in the same directory you ran it from. You can then open the vbs in notepad to check it out. The wmi.txt is the output we use to create Platform Packs.

Thanks,

Devon

SmartDeploy Support