DeployCentral

Sys Prep error after rebuild

tylerST

So I've been having some issues getting 1909 to successfully deploy on a machine. It throws an error during deployment about failing sysprep. When you boot into windows, Explorer crashes and restarts constantly. We have updated the SD client and created new boot media.

At first I looked around online and thought it was because the initial install of the reference machine was 1903 however I have now rebuilt the reference machine and taken an image but it's still failing sysprep with the same error as before. I reinstalled 1909 over the old reference machine. I've attached the setuperr.log from Sysprep if this is helpful.

Thanks

setuperr.log

Hi Tyler,

We have seen this happen due to Windows Updates being in a bad state. Please perform the following:

• Start the virtual reference machine and run Windows Updates. Install all updates.
  • Restart the virtual reference machine via the Start menu
  • Once back at the desktop, check open Windows Updates and select Pause Updates
  • Restart the virtual reference machine
  • Open Windows Store and check for updates and install them by clicking the dots in the top right corner
  • Open Windows Updates and resume the updates and check for more Windows Updates and restart again if any are found
  • Open an administrative command prompt and type: shutdown.exe /s /t 0
  • Recapture/deploy and let us know your results.

Thanks,

Devon

SmartDeploy Support

On 1/31/2020 at 12:22 PM, SmartDeploySupport said:

Hi Tyler,

We have seen this happen due to Windows Updates being in a bad state. Please perform the following:

• Start the virtual reference machine and run Windows Updates. Install all updates.
  • Restart the virtual reference machine via the Start menu
  • Once back at the desktop, check open Windows Updates and select Pause Updates
  • Restart the virtual reference machine
  • Open Windows Store and check for updates and install them by clicking the dots in the top right corner
  • Open Windows Updates and resume the updates and check for more Windows Updates and restart again if any are found
  • Open an administrative command prompt and type: shutdown.exe /s /t 0
  • Recapture/deploy and let us know your results.

Thanks,

Devon

SmartDeploy Support

After doing this, I still get the same error. setuperr.log is identical.

We will need to take a look at a full log set.

Restart the target machine and boot from the SmartDeploy boot media to get into the SmartDeploy boot environment. Click Collect Logs and save the resulting zip. Submit a ticket here and we can take a look. 

Thanks,

Devon
SmartDeploy Support