DeployCentral

USB Creation from server without access to USB ports

I am in need of some assistance. I want to make bootable USB drives from my SD server but I cannot. My server is a virtual server and thus no physical USB ports. If I go thru the Deployment pack creation, I realize I can create a DVD but this then does not give me a bootable USB. It creates 2 ISO files and this does not work. I wish our SD server was its own server and running Windows Server 2019, but oh well. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do get this done?

Thanks,
Aaron

Hello Aaron@Shared,

What we recommend doing is to install another instance of SmartDeploy on a physical workstation. Then you can create USB media, using your Answer File, Image, and Platform Pack via network shares from your main console host. 

If you have any further questions, please submit a request at support@smartdeploy.com

-Chris M.
SmartDeploy Support

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, that is what I'll be doing, creating Offline media due to working remotely. Is it best then to download the console to my machine and import the image/answer file/packs from the VM or will the VirtualHere option mentioned above work?

I have no issue downloading the console on another machine but if there is an option to avoid that and keep everything on the Hyper-V and the VM, I'd love to do so.

Thank you for your input and help.

Definitely take Jeff's advice over mine, but you could probably try RDP USB passthrough.  

Plug USB into PC with USB ports, RDP into the server, but make sure you go to 'show options', local resources, more, then drives (this is within the initial RDP window) then your USB will show up on the remote server. 

EDIT: Don't try this it doesn't work 😃

Edited by DJ.
I am stupid

If you're going to make offline media, then you want to copy the image to your local machine. If you're on the same local network as the console host, you can still change the Platform Pack and Application Pack directory to a network share on your console, and the Answer File as well, to pull them down where they'll be copied to your USB media. 

If you're remote/VPN, then I'd download/copy the image and Answer File to your local workstation. Assuming your direct internet connection is faster, just re-download the Platform Packs via the SmartDeploy Console. Then create your media on the local workstation. 

56 minutes ago, DJ. said:

Definitely take Jeff's advice over mine, but you could probably try RDP USB passthrough.  

Plug USB into PC with USB ports, RDP into the server, but make sure you go to 'show options', local resources, more, then drives (this is within the initial RDP window) then your USB will show up on the remote server. 

EDIT: Don't try this it doesn't work 😃

Noted DJ!!