DeployCentral

SmartDeploy and LANDesk Management Suite v9.0SP3

Our company recently purchased SmartDeploy Enterprise for image deployment and streamlining our imaging process. We currently have a base OS Image (WinXPSP3 and Windows7 64Bit) and use a product called UIU (Universal Image Utility) for drivers. (Blob method). We are dependent on physical hardware to build our image and want to move into creating a Virtual Gold Image base (VMWare)and use only specific model Drivers to reduce the amount of hard drive space being utilized by UIU's driver database(3GB).

We manage all of the devices in our environment using a product called LANDesk Management Suite v9.0SP3. We can remote control, Inventory, distribute and policy Software and patches for installation, license monitor, and OSD/Provisioning (Operating SYstem Deployment) etc. With LANDesk we have the capability to pushing and pulling down images to our entire environment, using multiple imaging tools (Symantec, Windows, lynux, and LANDesk has it's own imaging tool). We can currently PXEBoot devices and select from an Imaging menu a desired image. Currently we only have two standard Image builds (WinXPSP3 and Windows7 64Bit Images).

I am looking for anyone out there using SmartDeploy Enterprise and LANDesk Management Suite v9.0SP3 to deploy Images. How to integrate SMartDeploy into the LANDesk PXEBoot Environment, and to be able to deploy a smartdeploy image and have all the driver packs available for install??

Need Help ASAP.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello James,

Sorry for the delayed response on this one.

The easiest way I have found to get LANDesk to PXE boot a custom version of Windows PE is to make a change to the BCD on the PXE representative. If you make this change you will be able to chose from the LANDesk supplied Windows PE and the SmartDeploy Windows PE. You can follow the steps below to make the change.

1. Create new SmartDeploy media by opening the Media Wizard
    • When prompted for Media Type select Build Boot Media and check For use With WDS Multicast (This will create a Boot.wim file that will be used for PXE boot)

[*]Rename the Boot.wim created by the Media Wizard to SmartDeploy.wim

[*]Copy the SmartDeploy.wim to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\boot on your PXE representative

[*]Open an administrative command prompt on the PXE representative

[*]Change directories to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\boot

[*]Create a backup of the BCD file (copy BCD BCD.old) this will make it easy to revert back if something goes wrong

[*]Now for the BCDEdit commands to create the new boot entry for the SmartDeploy.wim

• BCDEdit /store BCD /create /d "SmartDeploy" /application osloader (this will return a GUID that looks like this:{7312763b-6fbb-11e1-9ebd-a088b41084fc}, copy the GUID as it will need to be used in the following commands in replace of {GUID}).
  • BCDEdit /store BCD /set {GUID} device ramdisk=[boot]\boot\SmartDeploy.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
  • BCDEdit /store BCD /set {GUID} osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\boot\SmartDeploy.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
  • BCDEdit /store BCD /set {GUID} systemroot \Windows
  • BCDEdit /store BCD /set {GUID} detecthal Yes
  • BCDEdit /store BCD /set {GUID} WinPE Yes
  • BCDEdit /store BCD /displayorder {GUID} /addlast
  • You can then run "BCDEdit /store BCD /enum all" and check that it looks correct
    BCDAfterChanges.PNG

[*]Now PXE boot a machine, select F8 and then WinPE Menu, the machine will start PXE booting and open to another Menu which lists the boot options, select the bottom option to boot to the SmartDeploy boot media.

PXEMenu.PNG

Let me know if you run into any problems!

Erik

Thanks Erik, I'm having trouble running the second BCDEdite line after I get the GUID.

•BCDEdit /store BCD /set {GUID} device ramdisk={boot}\boot\SmartDeploy.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

I keep getting a "Device is not Valid as specified error message asking me to run BDCEdit /?

I am running this on my PXEREP PC that is Windows 7 64Bit OS.

Hi James, It looks like I have a typo above (fixed now). The brackets around boot in the command will need to be straight not squiggly :). BCDEdit /store BCD /set {GUID} device ramdisk=[boot]\boot\SmartDeploy.wim,{ramdiskoptions}. The same is true for the next command BCDEdit /store BCD /set {GUID} osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\boot\SmartDeploy.wim,{ramdiskoptions}.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik,

Thank You, that worked perfectly. Though, once the SmartDeploy Boot media finished deploying I got to a screen that said windows failed to start. The info at the bottom states taht The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible, and was able to go no further.

So what I would like to do and I have a documetn from LANDesk called "Adding a Custom Menu Option to the F8 PXE Menu" Which I was succeddfully able to do. So when I press F8, I see the WinPE Menu and a SmartDeploy option.

THe way LANDesk works, is when I choose WinPE Menu the Boot.Wim loads and then takes me to another Menu where all of my Imaging scripts are. I can then select a specific image to deploy. I would like for this to be the same way with SmartDeploy.

So from the F8 Menu, I can click "SmartDeploy" instead of WinPE Menu, and then have it automatically launch the SMartDeploy Image I have ready to deploy. Unattended and Automatically if possible.

I can try to send you some screen prints of what our LANDesk process looks like. Can I email them to you directly?

The error is likely do to the name of the .wim file that is copied to the C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\boot. If this .wim file name is not the same as what is entered in the BCD commands (the commands in this forum post expect the file to be C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\boot\SmartDeploy.wim).

You can certainly contact us directly at 'Support at SmartDeploy dot com'.