DeployCentral

Adding a task or Multiple tasks to SMartDeploy Image

I want to add a specific task to run after the image is deployed at the first boot, prior to user logon and then be able to run multiple tasks to after user logon. Looking for more in depth documentation or step by step procedures to accomplish this. I've only been able to find a one page blurb about filters and tasks that does not explain how to actually start the process of building and adding tasks? Any help would be great.

Thank You,

James

Hello James,

Tasks can be implemented in so many different ways that it is hard to document everything. To get you started here is some information.

• Tasks can be accessed by going to the Advanced option of the Deploy Wizard and selecting the Tasks tab.
  • To create a new Task select Add.
  • In the resulting window you will see an option for Phase and Command.
  • There are five different phases in which tasks can be run:
    1. Before image is applied: This processes in the boot environment at the end of the Deploy Wizard before the disk is prepared and the image is applied.
    2. After image is applied: This processes in the boot environment after the image is applied but before rebooting the machine.
    3. Specialize / Mini-Setup: This takes place during the Specialized phase of Sysprep. Tasks in this phase will be run from the Operating System of the image that was deployed utilizing the system account.
    4. First boot as system: Tasks in this phase take place while the computer is sitting at the logon screen. You will not see them process like you would in the other phases as the tasks run in session 0 as the system account.
    5. First logon to desktop: Tasks in this phase happen as the users logs into the desktop for the first time. The task will be processed using the users credentials and security settings.

[*]The Command field will let you enter the command to be run. Here are some examples of commands that can be run, but basically you can expect anything that would be valid running from the Run dialog box of the OS to work as a command.

1. Running a command line utility, i.e. copying a file: Command = "Copy c:\test.txt c:\users\test\desktop\test.txt"
    2. Running a batch file: Command = "Cmd.exe /c c:\test.bat"
    3. Running a VBScript: Command = "Wscript.exe c:\test.vbs"

If you are unsure the command is working properly one great troubleshooting method is to create another task in the same phase that runs the command "Cmd.exe /k" this will open a command prompt that you can interact with. When the command prompt is open you can test your command as many times as you need without the deployment continuing. When you are satisfied with your testing you can close the command prompt to continue deployment.

I hope that is enough to get you up and started but if you have any further questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik,

Where is the Deploy Wizard? In my Start Menu, I have a Media Wizard, Build Wizard, Capture Wizard, and Platform Manager and then I have the SDK & Tools folder. I have a flash drive that is bootable that I am testing with and set to run verbose, and I dont see an advanced tab there to be able to run tasks? Am I missing something?

Hello James,

Tasks can be implemented in so many different ways that it is hard to document everything. To get you started here is some information.

• Tasks can be accessed by going to the Advanced option of the Deploy Wizard and selecting the Tasks tab.
  • To create a new Task select Add.
  • In the resulting window you will see an option for Phase and Command.
  • There are five different phases in which tasks can be run:
    1. Before image is applied: This processes in the boot environment at the end of the Deploy Wizard before the disk is prepared and the image is applied.
    2. After image is applied: This processes in the boot environment after the image is applied but before rebooting the machine.
    3. Specialize / Mini-Setup: This takes place during the Specialized phase of Sysprep. Tasks in this phase will be run from the Operating System of the image that was deployed utilizing the system account.
    4. First boot as system: Tasks in this phase take place while the computer is sitting at the logon screen. You will not see them process like you would in the other phases as the tasks run in session 0 as the system account.
    5. First logon to desktop: Tasks in this phase happen as the users logs into the desktop for the first time. The task will be processed using the users credentials and security settings.

[*]The Command field will let you enter the command to be run. Here are some examples of commands that can be run, but basically you can expect anything that would be valid running from the Run dialog box of the OS to work as a command.

1. Running a command line utility, i.e. copying a file: Command = "Copy c:\test.txt c:\users\test\desktop\test.txt"
    2. Running a batch file: Command = "Cmd.exe c:\test.bat"
    3. Running a VBScript: Command = "Wscript.exe c:\test.vbs"

If you are unsure the command is working properly one great troubleshooting method is to create another task in the same phase that runs the command "Cmd.exe /k" this will open a command prompt that you can interact with. When the command prompt is open you can test your command as many times as you need without the deployment continuing. When you are satisfied with your testing you can close the command prompt to continue deployment.

I hope that is enough to get you up and started but if you have any further questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Erik

Hi James,

The Deploy Wizard is the wizard you use to deploy images. When you boot a target device to the SmartDeploy Boot Environment (SmartPE) and select "Deploy an image" the Deploy Wizard is launched. After opening the Deploy Wizard you will see "Advanced" in the lower right hand corner of the wizard, clicking this will get you to the Advanced options.

Thanks,

Erik