DeployCentral

Smartdeploy With SCCM 2012

Steve.Sadler

Hi All,

Is there an updated Instruction leaflet as to how to deploy OS images with Smartdeploy integrated with SCCM 2012?

I have the pdf for Sccm 2007 and am testing it in a lab environment via Hyper-V but get an error at the deploy image button stage. Am presuming its because it is on a virtual machine.

if all goes well i will implement it withing our live environment.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Steve

Hi Steve,

There isn't yet an updated guide for SCCM 2012, however the process should be largely the same as the SCCM 2007 integration guide. It sounds like you have already worked through most of the process if you are to the deployment stage. Can you please let me know what the error you receive is and we can go about troubleshooting form there.

Regards,

Erik

Hi Erik

This is the error i receive..

[Arg_NullreferenceException]

Arguments:

Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the

key amd arguments provide sufficient information to

diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/

fwlink/?

linkid=106663&Version=4.0.50917.0&File=mscorlib.dll

&Key=Arg_NullReferenceException.

When visitng this link it mentions a Silverlight issue.

Any Ideas?

Steve

Thanks for the error information, at what point in the process does this error pop up? During the image apply, before or after? Also if you could get the Deploy.log from the machine it would be helpful. To do this you will need to enable command support on the boot.wim that you imported to SCCM. Once you have this you can run through the deployment until it fails, hit F8 to open a command prompt and copy x:\Windows\Temp\Debug.log. If you could then paste or attach it to a reply I will have a look.

Hi Erik,

The error occurs immediately after i click next on the recreate drives screen. It seems as though smartdeploy cannot see the hard drive.

This is in a vm with Hyper-v if that helps.

I have run this on a vm that has already been created and with a new vm. Still same error.

I also tried it with adding the "partition and format" option in the task sequence.

I'm presuming there will not be a deploy.log if the process hasn't accessed the vm's hard disk drive at this stage.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Does the image you are using deploy fine when not used with SCCM? For example can you create offline media with the image and deploy it.

I ask because this behavior can occur when the image file does not have the correct metadata. When an image is captured with the SmartDeploy Enterprise Capture Wizard custom metadata is added to the WIM, that details the information about the source virtual disk. If this information is missing the check for valid disk structure which runs after selecting next, at the recreate drives page, will fail. This leads to the next question of how the image was created?

Thanks,

Erik

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve,

Does the image you are using deploy fine when not used with SCCM? For example can you create offline media with the image and deploy it.

I ask because this behavior can occur when the image file does not have the correct metadata. When an image is captured with the SmartDeploy Enterprise Capture Wizard custom metadata is added to the WIM, that details the information about the source virtual disk. If this information is missing the check for valid disk structure which runs after selecting next, at the recreate drives page, will fail. This leads to the next question of how the image was created?

Thanks,

Erik

Hello!

I've got the same error, but without using SCCM, just SD. Have created standalone boot media on an external harddrive. Just updated the image with patches and upgrade of Citrix, Java, Adobe, Flash and Silverligt. This image have worked before...?

Regards

Tom Tangen

Hello!

I've got the same error, but without using SCCM, just SD. Have created standalone boot media on an external harddrive. Just updated the image with patches and upgrade of Citrix, Java, Adobe, Flash and Silverligt. This image have worked before...?

Regards

Tom Tangen

Hi Tom,

If you are receiving the same error on the same screen as what is mentioned above it would probably be best to try and recapture your image. If you continue to see problems you can check that the SmartDeploy metadata exists in the WIM file. To do so you will need to open the SmartDeploy Enterprise Command Prompt and run SmartWIM /info [path to WIM] then copy the resulting info and reply with it.

Thanks,

Erik

Hi Tom,

If you are receiving the same error on the same screen as what is mentioned above it would probably be best to try and recapture your image. If you continue to see problems you can check that the SmartDeploy metadata exists in the WIM file. To do so you will need to open the SmartDeploy Enterprise Command Prompt and run SmartWIM /info [path to WIM] then copy the resulting info and reply with it.

Thanks,

Erik

Thanks for the reply. I've rebuilded the image from scratch, but now i get another error. I'll open a new thread for that.

Regards

Tom Tangen