DeployCentral

Custom Platform Pack best practices

RSA_ENG

I was wondering if anyone has some best practices for creating custom platform packs. For example, after doing an extract of all of the drivers, is it possible to keep all the files that get extracted or do we have to find the .inf file and get the specific ones that it will need. The reason I ask is I'm moving my company in 8 days and would like to streamline my imaging by just keeping all the extracted files instead of going through every driver and picking the exact ones needed. I'm not lazy I swear, ha ha.

Thanks.

Danny

I was wondering if anyone has some best practices for creating custom platform packs. For example, after doing an extract of all of the drivers, is it possible to keep all the files that get extracted or do we have to find the .inf file and get the specific ones that it will need. The reason I ask is I'm moving my company in 8 days and would like to streamline my imaging by just keeping all the extracted files instead of going through every driver and picking the exact ones needed. I'm not lazy I swear, ha ha.

Thanks.

Danny

Hi Danny,

It looks like you had some correspondence with our support team, but I would like to close the loop on this one. We generally try and be as exact as possible when adding drivers to the Platform Packs, meaning we only add INF's and binaries that are needed, not everything from a downloaded package. This keeps things clean and avoids any conflicts. However if you are in a bind and need to get a pack built quickly, you can leave all the ancillary files that are downloaded with the driver, it will just cause your pack to be larger. Below are a few links to documentation on the process of building a Platform Pack as well.

Hope that helps,

Erik