DeployCentral

Customizing Windows PE

I'm currently using Smart Deploy along with a WDS server for PXE booting and Multtasking (works great and I'm loving it). However I'd like to customize the Windows PE enviroment some to allow for other tools besides Smart Deploy to be used in the Win PE enviroment. I'm thinking specifically of DiskWipe, and possibly some anti-virus and malware tools that would benefit from running in the Win PE space. Right now I've got a drive of tools automatically mapping on the network with a custom XML file (this also maps the imaging folder), and I can hit shift+F10 to get to the command prompt to launch the tools. I'm wondering if there's any way to further customize the Smart Deploy Win PE enviroment in order to make getting to these tools more convenient.

Obviously I can create my own Win PE and put the tools there and use that to boot, but I'd prefer something more consolidated.

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

When you create your boot media with the Media Wizard, there will be an Optional Components page. There you could browse to a folder containing all your optional files and complete the wizard. This folder will be in the %SmartDeploy_Media%\z\Tooldirectory\ location of your boot media. While in the boot environment you can access the optional files by using the %SmartDeploy_Media% variable which is set on boot to reflect the drive letter of the device used to boot the machine.

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support