DeployCentral

Settings in answer file to allow multicast in WDS

bsquillace

Hello,

The best way to do this would be to regenerate the answer file via the Deploy Wizard. After you map your \\WDSServer\Reminst directory and browse to your \images\imagegroup\Wim.Wim a message will be displayed asking you if it's a multicast transmission. Select YES and proceed to the summary page and export an unattended answer file. Create new WDS boot media with that answer file and import it into your boot images section of your WDS server and you should be good to go.

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was looking for a way to do this without having to recreate the answer file since we have made many customizations to the original file. I was hoping I could just insert a few lines of code in the answer file to allow a multicast transmission. Since that may not be possible is there an easy way to run the deploy wizard? Because I have automation in place I would have to change my boot image on the WDS server to one that is not using an answer file to get the deploy wizard to work in an attended mode on a client PC.

Unfortunately, there is no external version of the Deploy Wizard. You could import a WDS boot WIM that doesn't have a answer file as well as the one with the answer file. This way you could boot to the version without the answer file and generate answer files with that version of the boot media.

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support

Recreating the answer file and selecting yes worked. Unattended multicast sessions work now from our WDS server. I did notice that the transmission rate is about 8 times slower than unicast but it is still enough time to push out an image to a block of PCs overnight. Thanks again for the assistance.

• 1 year later...

Recreating the answer file and selecting yes worked. Unattended multicast sessions work now from our WDS server. I did notice that the transmission rate is about 8 times slower than unicast but it is still enough time to push out an image to a block of PCs overnight. Thanks again for the assistance.

Hi

Will this work for WDS UNIcast and unattended mode..?

I have been trying to make a unattended XML, where the "select image" screen is set to "skip=1", but the deployment stops after provisioning disks with the status "Processing WDS session".

I have tried to regenerate the XML via the Deploy Wizard, but no luck. I also have a few customizations in my XML

When i change the XML to skip=0 for image select, the wizard asks for uni/multicast selection and runs perfectly if i select no to the Multicast question.

(I can't enable IGMP and multicast in our network infrastructure, so multicast is not an option)

I'll hope some1 can save me some headaches here.. :-)

//Kenneth