DeployCentral

Some Licensing Questions

blueracer

Update (2014-04-11):
You can access your license usage at http://www.smartdeploy.com/licensing – if you need to decommission any machines due to end-of-life, you can send those on a spreadsheet to licensing@smartdeploy.com.

Hello,

You can check your licensing usage here and decommission a machine. https://www.smartdeploy.com/register/licensing/

Then deploy to the new machine. The machines are counted by the deployment not the machine name or MAC address using an agent.

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support

Thanks for the reply. I don't see an option on decommissioning a machine. Will it only show up after I have used up 100% of the license?

If it's not based on MAC or computer name, how would it know not to count towards license if I'm deploying to the same machine with a different name?

I'm asking these questions because I'm currently testing our images on a machine and may have to redeploy multiple times.

Hello,

You can check your licensing usage here and decommission a machine. https://www.smartdeploy.com/register/licensing/

Then deploy to the new machine. The machines are counted by the deployment not the machine name or MAC address using an agent.

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support

I would like to decommission some computers, but the licensing page is not displaying anymore the list of computers. It only gives the number of licenses used. Any workaround?

Thanks for the reply. I don't see an option on decommissioning a machine. Will it only show up after I have used up 100% of the license?

If it's not based on MAC or computer name, how would it know not to count towards license if I'm deploying to the same machine with a different name?

I'm asking these questions because I'm currently testing our images on a machine and may have to redeploy multiple times.

I used to see the list of deployed computers and my license usage was at 20%. Somehow the list is not getting displayed anymore.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

@amedley - It's actually quite simple, my company is a SmartDeploy user ourselves and I had this very question. Once you've downloaded your license usage, you send an email with an attached list of computer's you want to be decommissioned to licensing@smartdeploy.com. They'll reply back having you agree to some terms and conditions/rules regarding decommissioning licenses. After you read it, simply reply to them that you agree and authorize them to decommission the licenses, and normally w/i a few hours they'll be completed and you'll get a confirmation email stating such. Hope this helps!

13 minutes ago, Jaikele said:

@amedley - It's actually quite simple, my company is a SmartDeploy user ourselves and I had this very question. Once you've downloaded your license usage, you send an email with an attached list of computer's you want to be decommissioned to licensing@smartdeploy.com. They'll reply back having you agree to some terms and conditions/rules regarding decommissioning licenses. After you read it, simply reply to them that you agree and authorize them to decommission the licenses, and normally w/i a few hours they'll be completed and you'll get a confirmation email stating such. Hope this helps!

Thank you @Jaikele!  Good to know and at least now it is documented for others to see.  Cheers!

Hi @amedley,

Glad to see that Jaikele answered your question. If I recall correctly, back when this thread started, there was a method available to decommission individual machines through the website, but it didn't end up sticking around, as users generally had to decommission more than one machine at a time, and found the website method cumbersome.

Thank you for bringing this old info to our attention - I've updated the post above for reference, and feel free to reach out to support (at) smartdeploy.com if you have any other questions we can assist with.

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube