DeployCentral

Media creation over network

What you can do is create an ISO file with the SmartDeploy Media Wizard and then use a tool like rufus on the computer that the USB drive is plugged in to. Rufus will allow you to basically turn your USB drive into a copy of the CD. I know it's not exactly making a USB drive "over the network" but it will work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Admin!

It could be a very useful feature to be able of remotely update/upgrade/rebuild the deployment USB Flash Drives :-)

Currently, I connect by RDP to the local technician computer, tell him to plug in the USB drive and then I update the contents of the drive using a folder synchronization tool (FreeFileSync) against my Smart Deploy workstation. If you could provide a tool to do that update task it would be a really useful feature, maybe just a small tool that could connect to a predefined network shared folder and do that sync job... :-)

Just a suggestion ;-)

Regards,

-- Javier Llorente

• 9 months later...

It has been 10 months since this thread was last touched but I am wondering if there is an update on this subject.

I have our SmartDeploy (server) running on a remote server, running Server 2012. I RDP to this server to do all my work. The physical box is currently running on my bench but I am getting tired of the fan noise in the office. I would like to move it to the data center which would also allow us to connect UPS power. (which would have been great this winter as we have had a lot of power outages) But, the data center is about 1/2 mile away. 

I would really like to be able to have a solution for something like "RDP enabled redirected USB SmartDeploy support". RDP redirection of the USB drive does work but it is seen as a network device and SmartDeploy Media Wizard doesn't support that for creating USB deployment media. 

Is this something that we could talk you into doing? 

Thanks!

--Rob @ Libraries in Clackamas County

Hi Rob,

Have you considered using the workaround proposed by Ray above?

On 8/4/2016 at 7:24 PM, Ray said:

What you can do is create an ISO file with the SmartDeploy Media Wizard and then use a tool like rufus on the computer that the USB drive is plugged in to. Rufus will allow you to basically turn your USB drive into a copy of the CD. I know it's not exactly making a USB drive "over the network" but it will work.

It may be worth to try :-)

Best regards,
-- Javier Llorente