DeployCentral

Windows 10 Not Capturing

ARMCAdmin

I am having a problem capturing a brand new Windows 10 x86 image. When I attempt to capture it an error pops up stating that the VM appears to have been upgraded.

I am confused as this was hand built from scratch as a new VM/Image from Windows 10 media/ISOs. I am not sure why I am receiving this error since the version of windows in the image is 10.0.10586.

Any thoughts?

Below is the error received:

15hybsp.png

Thanks!

Ron

Hi Ron,

This is happening because Microsoft has released the Windows 10 1511 (also known as "Threshold 2") update as an in-place upgrade via Windows Update. This means that if you created your VM using older Windows 10 OS media, such as that which was released last July when the OS first came out, the 1511 upgrade would automatically install via Windows Update, leaving the virtual reference computer in a state where it then cannot be successfully Sysprep’d and deployed.

In order to resolve the issue, you'll need to recreate your virtual machine using OS media that has the 1511 update built in. Generally speaking, any new ISO from a Microsoft source with "1511" in the filename should include this update. You can verify that you have media with the 1511 update built in by creating your VM, installing Windows from your media, then immediately running the command winver, which will display a screen indicating your current Windows version. The correct version should be Microsoft Windows, Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3).

Sorry it's not better news - by releasing the update in this manner, Microsoft has definitely caused a few inadvertent deployment headaches. But you should hopefully not have to deal with this again once you've recreated your VM.

If you have any questions, please feel free to shoot us an email at support (at) smartdeploy.com, and be sure to reference this DeployCentral thread.

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

• 9 months later...