DeployCentral

Cancel / Abort Deployment in PreImage phase

Hello,

I'm deploying the corporate computers using an offline USB drive. In order to avoid modifications, I'm adding a md5 checksum on the PreImage task in order to detect if my configuration file has been tampered with or modified. If the verification fails, I need a clean and neat way to abort the deployment on this phase. Sure, I may request the user to just unplug the USB drive and shutdown the computer, but I guess there must be a better way to abort the process at this point.

So, what would be the proper way to abort the deployment process from a script in the PreImage phase?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

-- Javier Llorente

Hi Javier,

This is an interesting scenario... Placing conditions on the application of the image is not directly supported, but you could make this work by running your MD5 verification script during the PREIMAGE  ("Before the image is applied") phase, and triggering a shutdown if the required condition is not met. So the idea is, a failure of your MD5 script would shut down the machine, but a pass would do nothing - which would allow SmartDeployPE to proceed with the deployment as it would have done.

The command you'll want to add to your script, as the failure action, is this:

wpeutil shutdown

I've just tested this on a VM, and it performed as expected, shutting down the VM before any disk operations are performed (so any existing data on the drive should remain untouched if the shutdown is triggered during PREIMAGE).

Please let us know if you have any questions - you can reach us at support (at) smartdeploy.com.

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube

Hi Support,

Yes, I was already testing using the 'wpeutil shutdown' command, but I was wondering if maybe there could be another way to do it without forcing the shutdown.

Anyway, the forced shutdown does the work nice and is enough for me. Thanks for the confirmation! :-)

Regards,

-- Javier Llorente