DeployCentral

Platform Pack Not Copied from 4-disc set of Deployment Media

The drivers are not being loaded on to the workstation after the installation of the image from a 4 disc DVD set. The C:\Platform directory is empty. Also, when loading the image, only the 3 discs are used across multiple differing workstation models.  Disc 4 is never asked to be placed into the workstation.  This was not an issue when the disc set was only 3 disks, on SmartDeploy v2.0.1060.

SmartDeploy version 2.0.2050

Media type: 4 x DVD-DL

Hi Dennis,

It's unlikely that the SmartDeploy version is an issue in this case - if the C:\Platform directory is missing, this generally indicates that the Platform Pack was not used.

Is this a make/model of device that you've deployed to before? If you browse to the 'z' folder on the root of the DVD, is there a Windows 10 platform pack there that matches the make/model of the target device?

If the Platform Pack is missing, go ahead and re-run Media Wizard, and be sure to select this Platform Pack on the appropriate screen so that it is included in the media. If the pack seems to be present but is still not being used, then we'll need you to download and run our wmi.vbs script from Step 1 on the Platform Pack Request Form:
https://www.smartdeploy.com/support/platform-pack-request/

Send the resulting wmi.txt file to support (at) smartdeploy.com (and be sure to reference this DeployCentral thread), and we can advise further.

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube

The platform pack has been used before on the same model computer.  I have used a SmartDeploy boot disc and pointed it to the wim and ppk file on a USB hard drive to check if the ppk is good.  The drivers load fine.  It's when I covert over to DVD media that I have an issue.

I see the ppk file on disc 4, and it is the correct size.  However, since disc 4 is never requested, it doesn't seemed to be copied.   The only thing that has changed is that .wim file is much larger due to Windows updates, and now the disc set has grown from 3 to 4.

Hi Dennis,

Hmmm... This is a known bug in a previous version of SmartDeploy, but it was fixed several versions ago. I know you said you're on 2.0.2050 above, but please go ahead and double check that your media was created with this version - you can boot to the media on the device and look in the lower-right corner in SmartDeploy WindowsPE to confirm. Assuming it's the correct version, this could be a recurrence of the same bug under slightly different conditions.

Would it be possible for you to grab a log set from a device that has experienced this failure? It's easiest to do this with SmartDeploy USB media - you can then boot to USB, click the Collect logs button, and save the resulting zip to the USB stick to send with your reply. Then you can email this to support (at) smartdeploy.com.

Note that zip files are sometimes restricted by email security policy, so you may want to double check that the log set makes it out of your server.

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube