DeployCentral
CTEK

Win10: Calculator & other apps missing

Hi,
I have been deploying Windows 10 builds 1607 & 1703 to staff laptops successfully for a while now. Last week a staff member asked how he could get the calculator app to run. After checking and confirming that the problem is real I'm scratching my head as to why I'm see this.
Symptom: try and run calc.exe on a SD-deployed PC and you get the error message "You'll need a new app to open this calculator". On the original 1703 image, "Get-AppxPackage | measure" returns a count of 84; the same on the deployed PC returns a count of47. "Add-AppxPackage -register" throws an error of "Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80080205, The Appx package's block map is invalid."
Source VM runs in VMWare Workstation 12.5.5. SDE version is 2.0.2050. Hardware is Dell Latitude or Dell Precision with latest platform pack.
Any advice appreciated,
Thanks,

Hello,

We have seen this if the virtual machine was updating the Windows Store applications during the capture process. Try starting your virtual reference machine, running Windows Updates, then open the Windows Store and update all the applications there as well. You may have to restart a couple of times and keep updating until all updates are complete.

Then capture/deploy and let us know your results.

Thanks,

SmartDeploy Support

No joy sorry: I took the base VM, updated it, logged in using a different admin account, updated all the Store apps, re-captured and re-deployed - same issue, and same count for "Get-AppxPackage | measure" (47).
Any other suggestions?

This is still hurting, and I can't deploy any fully-functional Win10 machines at the mo. I have upgraded to SDE 2.0.2080 without change. I have created a new reference Build 1703 VM without network support (so it can't update anything) - it runs calc.exe just fine, but machines deployed from this VM show the same problem. I'm starting to suspect that I'm doing something wrong but can't for the life of me work out what (and we have been using SDE since March 2012). Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Nope.

The good news: my fresh (ie, non-upgrade) 2.0.2090 install coupled with a new install of VMWare Player and a fresh Win10 1703 VM has passed it's first deployment test. Now to add all the required apps and try again - if that works, I'll simply retire the old SDE PC.

For anyone following this thread, a clean install of 2.0.2090 (on new hardware, but that was probably coincidental) and generating new images and boot media seemed to fix this.