DeployCentral

SmartDeploy - Join Network

Mikules

Seems no matter what I do SmartDeploy answer file will not join my machines to the network using Client deployment abilities. Have to manually go over to the machines and join them. Typed in everything right, domain\AdminUser and password. Nothing

Anyone else finding this to be an issue too ?

Hi there,

Domain joining failures can occur for a variety of reasons relating to network connectivity, syntax, or user permissions. On a target device that has experienced this issue, boot to SmartDeploy media and click the Collect logs button. Save the resulting zip file to an external location, and send it to support (at) smartdeploy.com. Once we have your logs in hand, we can advise further.

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi wsova,

We'll want to see a complete logset to troubleshoot this further, and I've opened a support ticket with you to troubleshoot this further.

Unfortunately, there is no single, specific answer to domain join failure, but broadly speaking, the failures tend to occur due to bad credentials, a bad FQDN for the domain, a bad Distinguished Name for a specified OU, or a failure to connect to a domain controller during the SPECIALIZE phase (which can occur with certain network adapters that fail to initialize without a reboot).

The logs can usually tell us where to look, so that's where we'd need to start.

Glenn
SmartDeploy Support

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

We've had similar issues and this is what we found.  So lets you have a Golden Image with V1903.  And you update it to V2004.  It will not join the domain.  From what I've learned is that you cannot do a Feature update to your Golden Image.   Essentially Every time there is a Feature update to Windows. You'll have to re-create your Golden Image.  This is what I've been told by Smart Deploy. 

1 hour ago, Ian Zavardino said:

Hey All,

We've had similar issues and this is what we found.  So lets you have a Golden Image with V1903.  And you update it to V2004.  It will not join the domain.  From what I've learned is that you cannot do a Feature update to your Golden Image.   Essentially Every time there is a Feature update to Windows. You'll have to re-create your Golden Image.  This is what I've been told by Smart Deploy. 

Correct; there is a specific bug in Windows/Sysprep following an in-place upgrade to v2004. You always want to create a new VM, installing the new version of Windows you want to deploy from ISO.