DeployCentral

Autologon after deployment

danbav

Hi,

I am trying to get the deployed machine (windows 7 x64) to log on as local administrator after deployment. This is to activate windows and MS office and perform a couple of other post build tasks. I cannot store the password in plain text. I did see an article from 2013 explaining how to do this but the passwords were required to be entered in plain txt. Is there an alternate way to do this?

Kind Regards 

Hi Daniel,

The local administrator account is automatically deactivated as a part of the Windows Sysprep process, but you can override this behavior using the checkbox in the Deploy Wizard (or Answer File Wizard) advanced options. You have an opportunity to set a local administrator password when you capture the image - an optional field in which to enter a password, and this will be hashed and stored inside the image.

It is possible to set up automatic logon with a script during the POSTIMAGE phase (which, as you indicated, does require the password to be stored in plaintext), but it really shouldn't be necessary for the tasks you've indicated here - activating Windows and Office can be done via Tasks as well.

In the Deploy Wizard (or Answer File Wizard) advanced options:

· Click Tasks tab

· Click Add

· Select First Boot as System for the phase

· For Command Line type the following: (for Office Activation)

cscript.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs /act"

(note that you may need to change Office14 to whichever the correct install folder is for your Office version)

· Click OK

· Click Add

· Select First Boot as System for the phase

· For Command Line type the following: (For Windows Activation)

cscript.exe c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

· Click OK

· Proceed through deployment wizard and proceed to deploy.

You mentioned there were "a couple other build tasks" you were looking to do - if you want to avoid using the autologon script with the plaintext password, you'll want to figure out how to script those in an unattended manner, and run them during FIRSTBOOT. If there's a particular setup task you're looking to accomplish and aren't sure how to proceed (or if you'd like to try the autologon script anyway), shoot us an email with details (and reference this thread) and we can advise further - support (at) smartdeploy.com

Regards,
Glenn

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL

SpiceworksTwitterfacebookyoutube

On 7/14/2017 at 6:04 AM, danbav said:

Hi,

I am trying to get the deployed machine (windows 7 x64) to log on as local administrator after deployment. This is to activate windows and MS office and perform a couple of other post build tasks. I cannot store the password in plain text. I did see an article from 2013 explaining how to do this but the passwords were required to be entered in plain txt. Is there an alternate way to do this?

Kind Regards 

Could you share how to autologin to a user after the machine is imaged?            I set the machine to do it in the base image but I believe sysprep wipes away those settings.   Being after the image is completed, I am sitting at the login screen. 

Hi there,

Sure - shoot us an email and we'll send you a script that will accomplish this. Please be sure to reference this thread.

Regards,
Glenn

SmartDeploy Support Team

TECH RESOURCES

SmartDeploy User Guides

DeployCentral Forum

Platform Pack RSS

SOCIAL